ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday practice notes....

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Illinois practiced from 10:45 to approximately 12:50 today a Memorial Stadium. Helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts, so it was mostly a non-contact practice.

Bielema scripts practices a bit different this year, at lease he did today. I like how the practices are designed to keep everyone engaged. i.e. when the No. 1 special teams units are working, another group will be doing 7-on-7 or some other type of collective drill.

A sizeable group of I-Fund donors got to watch practice from the student section bleachers. BTN was also there today.

Offense

* Tommy DeVito is clearly the starting quarterback. He took every first team rep today and was sharp, especially throwing on the move. He looked comfortable running the offense and made timely and accurate throws. It was mostly short stuff and some intermediate routes.

* This offense has some 12 personnel sets with both Luke Ford and Tip Reiman on the field, but it's mostly 11 personnel with 3 wideouts. I didn't see any two-back sets. Sometimes Ford lines up at H-back, but goes in motion from that spot.

* Right guard / JUCO transfer Isaiah Adams is a stud. He's not real bulky, but he's very strong, athletic, and polished from a technique standpoint. He won just about every matchup today, and was a bulldozer in the running game.

* Five wide receivers took reps with the first team (See below). After that there's a big drop-off. Former QB's Ashton Hollins and Hank Beatty have a lot to learn before they see the field. They both got some one-on-one instruction from George McDonald. Beatty could contribute on special teams.

* Chase Brown and Josh McCray shared first-team reps at running bacc. Brown probably got 60 percent of the carries with the unit, McCray 40 percent. McCray looks like he's still figuring out this offense and he's thinking a bit too much. He's much better when he just rumbles north-south.

* I think they've oversold the freshman running backs Jordan Anderson and Aidan Laughery a bit. They did some nice things, but they look like freshmen.

* I still have some concerns about center. Pihlstrom was the starter and he had a few bad snaps. Kreutz is the backup and he's not ready. Jordyn Slaughter took reps at center. That's a big no-go right now. I didn't see him make one good snap in the gun. Too high or too low.

* Art Sitkowski is still rusty. He was inconsistent throwing the football today. He has a quick release and good zip on the ball, but he's not very accurate and his release doesn't look much different that last year. I was expecting improvement after the shoulder surgery, but he's not there yet.

QB: Tommy DeVito
RB: Chase Brown and Josh McCray
WR: Isaiah Williams
WR: Pat Bryant or Brian Hightower
WR: Casey Washington or Shawn Miller
LT: Julian Pearl
LG: Isaiah Adams
C: Alex Pihlstrom
RG: Zy Crisler
RT: Alex Palczewski
TE: Luke Ford or Tip Reiman

Defense

* Depth is the biggest issue on the defense. The starters looked solid, but the 2s and 3s were not very good especially in the back 7.

* They have Isaac Darkangelo getting first teams reps at linebacker in a rotation with CJ Hart and Tarique Barnes. I'm skeptical. He seems like one of those gusy that coaches love because he does things right in drills, but he's going to have to prove to me he can do it in a game. I like the quickness that Kenena Odeluga brings better.

* There's a similar situation on the defensive line. The staff likes Bryce Barnes as a primary backup behind Johnny Newton and Keith Randolph. I like Sed McConnell much better. Veteran Jamal Woods is also in the rotation.

* Calvin Avery is the starting NT, backed up by Rashaan Wilkins. The other transfer TeRah Edwards is coming off of minor surgery and isn't practicing yet. Verdis Brown was with the 3's, and he struggled. He's listed at 345 and he's probably even heavier.

* It's a three-man rotation at outside linebacker with Seth Coleman and Ezekiel Holmes as the starters and Alec Bryant working in. Bryant is bigger and and more physical that the others, but not as quick-twitch.

* Strong safety Sydney Brown missed practice with an undisclosed injury. Ryan Walters said he's fine. Should be back for the next practice. True freshman Matthew Bailey started in Brown's place. Illinois may have gotten a steal there. Walters really likes Baily.

DT: Keith Randolph
NT: Calvin Avery
DT: Jer'Zhan Newton
OLB: Seth Coleman
ILB: Tarique Barnes or Isaac Darkangelo
ILB: CJ Hart or Isaac Darkangelo
OLB: Ezekiel Holmes
STAR: Jartavius Martin
SS: Syndey Brown (out today)
CB: Devon Witherspoon
CB: Tahveon NIcholson
FS: Kendall Smith

Special teams

* Caleb Griffin will be the PK

* Hugh Robertson will be the punter. He's not a great directional punt like Blake Hayes, but he gets good hangtime.

* Isaiah Williams is the return man. Others catching punts included Hank Beatty, Kody Case, Josh McCray, and Shawn Miller.

Questions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News