ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA TOURNAMENT MYOPIA

stoneaxe27

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2006
Reading posts over the years, and especially lately, I have come to the conclusion that way too many fans can't appreciate the talent, coaching and wonderful seasons the Illini have had, as they are blinded by the NCAA Tournament failures. Fine and some excellent coaches, Henson, Underwood, Self are under appreciated or denigrated because of losses in the first or second round. Great teams that the Illini have had are looked at disappointingly because of Tournament failure.
Appreciate the great talent and coaching and the approximate 20 games we enjoyed during long seasons of success. Instead many are completely consumed by the largely commercial and media hype given a Tournament. Don't let an early out from a commercial tournament blind us to the enjoyment we had following the team all season long.
I didn't think less of the Illini that tied as the BIG10 champs because of their loss to Loyola, as disappointing as that was. I remember all of the great games watching Ayo, Kofi and team win with hard nosed play and determination against teams with much greater talent and athleticism. I don't think less of the Illini reaching the Championship last year, because they lost in the second round. A good run in the tournament is gravy, if it happens. It is the long season that determines the quality of the team, the coach and the enjoyment from following them. Rant over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News