ADVERTISEMENT

Monday practice notes Aug 7

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Illinois was back on the practice field Monday morning at 10:00. The practice was open to media from approximately 10:30-11:15. We didn't to see any team stuff or 7-on-7. Just individuals and some combination drills (QB/WR, RB/LB).

Out today: OL Will Leys, OL Zach Barlev, RB Jordan Anderson. OLB Jared Badie and SAF Matthew Bailey still sidelined.

OFFENSE NOTES

- Donovan Leary is the clear favorite to back up Luke Altmyer. He continues to show excellent accuracy and touch.

- Malik Elzy just jumps out at you. He's the most talented receiver at Illinois in a long time. Super smooth coming out of his cuts, big body, adjusts the ball in the flight. He'll be a star here

- I like what I'm seeing from Aidan Laughery catching passes. He may carve out a niche as an all-purpose type, third down back.

- Barlev has been sidelined the last two days. He's in the mix to start at right guard, along with Josh Gesky and others. Barlev also takes reps at center. He participated today working on C/QB exchange then went to the exercise bike.

- Others getting reps snapping the ball today included Josh Kreutz (starter), TJ McMillen, Joey Okla, and walk-on Sam Tsaglis.

- After the presser with Bielema, it sounds like Jordyn Slaughter is getting first team reps at right guard.

DEFENSE NOTES

- With Bailey out, the starting safeties are Demetrius Hill and Xavier Scott. Scott will likely be bumped to the nickel when Bailey comes back. Hill continues to impress.

- Starting corners are Tahveon Nicholson and Tyler Strain.

- JUCO transfer Prince Ford is also in the mix at CB.

- Illinois may have gotten a steal in freshman DB Jaheim Clark. He needs to add some weight, but he's a quick-twitch corner with excellent feet. He's probably the most polished of the freshmen DB;s.

- Elijah Mc-Cantos is playing nickel now, backing up Scott.

- Malachi Hood is sleeper to watch at linebacker. He has always moved well, but he has now added some size.

- I think Denzel Daxon will push TeRah Edwards at NT.

SPECIAL TEAMS

- Freshman PK David Olano has a more live leg than Caleb Griffin. I think Griffin will be the guy because of consistency as experience, but Olano is very talented.

- Returning punts and kicks were Isaiah Williams, Miles Scott, Hank Beatty. Returning kicks were Malik Elzy, Pat Bryant, Saboor Karriem, Xavier Scott

We get Bielema at 12:30.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News