ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois basketball roster decisions (Dennis / Shannon / Hawkins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Starting a new thread on this to consolidate things.

The NBA Combine is over and TJ Shannon and Coleman Hawkins have decisions to make. I don't think much has changed with either one, except maybe Hawkins is a little more open to returning now.

Shannon will go where the guaranteed money is. Mock drafts won't determine that. It will be based on the feedback he's getting from individual franchises. There's plenty of NIL money for him if he decides to return to Illinois.

Hawkins wants to go pro, but could settle for returning if the situation is right. While some mock drafts have him going mid-second round, I think he probably fell to late 2nd round or not drafted.

I'm not sure on the specific timeline, but the deadline is May 31. I expect a decision sooner than that, though.

Incidentally, I talked to Brad Underwood at a campus event and WDWS radio appearance on Saturday. He said he's getting some good feedback from NBA scouts on Matthew Mayer. They obviously like his size and his ability to get his own shot.

Expecting a decision this week from RayJ Dennis. I'd guess Tuesday / Wednesday. Illinois is considered the favorite but it's not a slam dunk. Illinois, Baylor, Michigan, or Utah. Backup plans are starting to trickle out in case it falls through. They would pursue some grad transfers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News