ADVERTISEMENT

Illini training camp practice notes Tues/Wed

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Illinois was on the grass fields for practice the last two days at around 10:30 a.m. Media viewed periods 1-5 (approximately 30 minutes) which included warmups, individual position drills, and a few combo drills.

INURY UPDATE

Out today were WR Casey Washington, OL Zy Crisler, SAF Matthew Bailey, DL Sed McConnell (limited), TE Henry Boyer, TE Griffin Moore (limited), DL Dylan Davis, DB Tyson Rooks.

* OLB Jared Badie and RB Jordan Anderson are both back participating in practice.
* We should get an update on Washington and Crisler from Bret Bielema this afternoon. Crisler has missed the last two day. He's in a boot. Washington is a new injury.
* Bailey is still in a walking boot
* McConnell appears to be an upper body injury. He can run but not do contact drills
* Dylan Davis was running sprints on the side

OFFENSE NOTES

* With Crisler sidelined, the starters on the right side are RG Jordan Slaughter and RT Josh Gesky.
* Freshman Malik Elzy is a starter with Washington out. Hank Beatty gets equal reps as well.
* Quarteraback depth chart: QB 1 Luke Altmyer, QB2 John Paddock, QB3 Donovan Leary. There's still some competition for No. 2 but Paddock is winning that right now.
* Altmyer looked really sharp throwing the deep ball the last two days. Paddock's strength is throwing on the move. He has a quick release and good feet.
* RB depth chart: 1. Reggie Love or Josh McCray, 3. Jordan Anderson, 4. Aidan Laughery, 5. Kaden Feagin, 6. Nick Fedanzo (moved back to RB after playing LB).
* Transfer TE Tanner Arkin has had a good camp. It looks like he will get some playing time as the No. 2 TE behind Tip Rieman.

DEFENSE NOTES
'
Starting corners continue to be Taz Nicholson and Tyler Strain. Strain has really stood out to me the last couple of days. Freshman Zachary Tobe is making a move and could be in the two deep.
* Safety is still a question mark with Bailey out. I think Demetrius Hill will start at FS with Clayton Bush pushing him. Converted Miles Scott could start at SS. Xavier Scott is the staring STAR/nickel. NIcarip Harper is in the mix. There could be some musical chairs to get the best five on the field, though.
* Denzel Daxon is getting more and more snaps as the No. 1 nose tackle. I think he'll be the game one starter, but it's not a done deal yet. He's a more natural NT than TeRah Edwards and more of a leverage player.
* Alec Bryant has solidified his spot as the No. 3 OLB behind Seth Coleman and Gabe Jacas.

SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES

* Isaiah Williams will return punts. Others in the PR depth chart are Hank Beatty, Miles Scott, Aidan Laugherty, and Shawn Miller
* Pat Bryant is the kick returner. KR depth chart includes Reggie Love, Tyler Stain, Josh McCray, and Aidan Laughery,
* Talking to Robbie Discher, it sounds like there is a real battle at PK between returning starter Caleb Griffin and freshman David Olano. I think experience wins out eventually, but Olan is very talented. The ball explodes of is his foot. Griffin is also do some punting now. I'm not sure they're sold on Hugh Robertson.

What are your questions?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News