ADVERTISEMENT

Game 6: Illinois vs. Purdue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by illini1973:
300 yards of offense to Purdue at halftime. Sorry Banks you need to change your scheme or resign before your fired.
No way do you give this guy a chance to change anything.... just get rid of him....whatever it takes.....now.

We are watching the end of the Illini coaching staff . Major rebuilding will ensue, including many more
losses. Only question is whether MT will survive since he has to accept responsibility for this disaster.
Sad.
Maybe they somehow recover in the second half but I have little confidence.

200 yards on the ground for Purdue.They average 134 for an entire friggin game.Are we competing for Big Ten championships yet?

We are still below average awful on the line of scrimmage, both sides of the ball. Our defense is deplorable.

It's hard to see this era of Illinois continuing.

Originally posted by MKIllini:
There's no reason to support a school and program that does not give a rat's a$$ about winning. No excuse for being this bad. How as a fanbase can we get this better? Stop showing up and supporter this mess. I'll care again when this School and it's leaders show me they care.

So disgusted with this crap...
Why do people blame the school?

Last I checked, it was the athletic department that was responsible for Tepper, Turner, Zook, and Beckman. Yes, I wish there was more accountability, but it seems pretty fair to me that the school isn't put to the test about supporting a winner until, well, it hires a winner.

Have to agree. Fans should not support leadership who doesn't care. I stopped attending games two years ago. Still don't know why I watch.

Cubit has made similar calls in our other wins and we were lucky, very lucky to overcome gem. Just get the creaking first down.

Except that donors were excited and put their money where their mouths were...came up with a great package for football,since they were promised a big hire.This is what we got.

We have new suites,new weight-rooms,updated stadium scoreboards...Whose fault is it? How do you ever get those people interested again?

Originally posted by carolinaillini:
We are watching the end of the Illini coaching staff . Major rebuilding will ensue, including many more
losses. Only question is whether MT will survive since he has to accept responsibility for this disaster.
Sad.
Maybe they somehow recover in the second half but I have little confidence.
A solid coach would win half of the games with this team. Find a couple of JC OL and DL to plug in, and you have a competitive product in the B1G.

This is not about rebuilding. It's about a complete and total lack of schematic competence on the D side of the ball that every coach in cfb takes advantage of.

Football coaches matter. A lot. They have a ton of control about where players are and what they do. It's not like basketball when the greatest coaching in the world is out the window 1/3 of the way through a possession.

Mike Locksley should get the job. Would he return for the Head Coach job?

As bad as that 2nd quarter was I still say they win by double digits although I started drinking at the airport so could just be confused.

I agree with D-Train after watching game day all week that is an example of schools putting money into athletic programs, yes I am talking about Miss St, and Ole Miss.

The BIG offensive player of the week will be the tailback of the team that Illinois plays each week. This is beyond bad. This is Purdue???

Actually, Beckman would make a decent FCS coach-good recruiter, high character, family atmosphere and lots of energy. He's simply out of his league in every sense of the word. Time to let him off the hook and get him in position to go back where he belongs. Hopefully, Thomas has a deeper Rolodex than last time, and can assemble an entire team of coaches that are competent, good teachers, film junkies, and on the same page. Clearly not the case now. Best case would include someone who has experienced and understands the unique challenges and opportunities at Illinois or someone whose personal brand is large enough to change the perception of this job as too tough or a career killer. Only way we can attract talented staff is with the right HC leader-I wonder how much poison is still in the coaching ranks over Thomas' handling of Zook's asst. coaches? Likely means we overpay for next staff, but have to accept it as reality.

Originally posted by Cratchelow:
Except that donors were excited and put their money where their mouths were...came up with a great package for football,since they were promised a big hire.This is what we got.

We have new suites,new weight-rooms,updated stadium scoreboards...Whose fault is it? How do you ever get those people interested again?
There are 10-15 good coaches out there that would not only take the Illinois job, but would crawl from where they are across broken glass to take it.

I mean, Craig Bohl. Beau Baldwin at EWU. Dino Babers. Narduzzi. The Clemson OC Chad Morris (the next Gus Malzahn).

I think we still win this one... if not we are screwed and destined for the cellar,since Purdue has more than half of it's team being Freshmen and Sophs.It's just maddening calls like the 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 and what looks like fear of tackling by some of our defensive kids,that drives me nuts..They look like they miss on purpose and are afraid of contact.

Is it bad I dread the second half starting? Just don't want to more of this, but too loyal to change over to watch my other alma mater, Tennessee, dogfight with Florida.

Remember what President Ford announced in 1974:

"Our long national nightmare is over."

.... LOOK I'M NOT SAYING I WANT THE ILLINI TO LOSE....

but, we could be, right now, only 30 minutes of game clock away from the momentum and pressure on the U of I to do more than demand a new DC.

Beckman would not make a good FCS coach. We'll probably find this out someday too. He would get killed in most high school conferences with equal talent.

U r so lucky. I would switch to Tennessee if I had another alma mater. He'll, I'd even get into my wife's alma mater but it's mizzou paso that ain't happening.

Originally posted by dtrain79:
Beckman would not make a good FCS coach. We'll probably find this out someday too. He would get killed in most high school conferences with equal talent.
Like Supertramp once said: who is in your family tree DOES matter. Yeah, FCS coaches are usually as good or better game coaches than FBS coaches.

"There are 10-15 good coaches out there that would not only take the Illinois job, but would crawl from where they are across broken glass to take it."

Yet the AD hired this bunch,and he was our 5th choice,maybe? Not arguing..they are out there.

Like Supertramp once said: who is in your family tree DOES matter. Yeah, FCS coaches are usually as good or better game coaches than FBS coaches.

Originally posted by djpc:
Is it bad I dread the second half starting? Just don't want to more of this, but too loyal to change over to watch my other alma mater, Tennessee, dogfight with Florida.
Hey at least PU and IL have scored TDs in the first half!

Flavin ugh! pitiful
This post was edited on 10/4 12:48 PM by Ofcswol

"There are 10-15 good coaches out there that would not only take the Illinois job, but would crawl from where they are across broken glass to take it."

Yet the AD hired this bunch,and he was our 5th choice,maybe? Not arguing..they are out there.
Too many ADs not willing to take the leap of faith on guys that don't have the pedigree. Once Sumlin and Jones fell through, that's what needed to be done. Hiring football coaches is better for a gambler than a guy looking for the "right fit" like RG did. Take the big risk, and you get the reward.

By the way, us getting a 5 yard penalty before first down might be good if it discourages us trying to run up the middle.

There are 10-15 good coaches out there that would not only take the Illinois job, but would crawl from where they are across broken glass to take it.

I mean, Craig Bohl. Beau Baldwin at EWU. Dino Babers. Narduzzi. The Clemson OC Chad Morris (the next Gus Malzahn).
I think WIsconsin DC Dave Aranda is a rising star and also think they would consider a guy like Leslie Frazier; Still like the HC from South Florida

Yeah, Tennessee and Florida have athletes that play defense.

Yeah, Tennessee and Florida have athletes that play defense.
Uh, haven't noticed that the rest of the SEC is having trouble scoring.

You have to think someone up top has to look into the stands and see they are 1/2 empty right? Should be a pretty good statement one would think.

Looks like we're going through the motions. Someone needs to step up and make a play or the season's over.

Another empty offensive possetion , now back to our swiss cheese defense.

Comments from Beckman rephrased by the sideline reporter did not inspire much confidence... an extra defender and giving up 40+ yard gains in the "2" and "4" holes. Whoa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT