ADVERTISEMENT

Day 13 (last open day) training camp notes

Erich_Fisher

Jul 31, 2018
Champaign, IL
We all know the drill now with the schedule hopefully. If not, just check out the previous days then just hop back over here.

No updates about the Beason injury and something tells me won't hear a thing till Aug. 26 at Lovie's Monday game week press conference. Just be prepared for the worst is all I'm going to say.

Today was an off day for guys like Jamal Milan, Mike Epstein, Edwin Carter and Kenyon Jackson. Trevon Sidney, Jordyn Slaughter, Sydney Brown, Tymir Oliver, Joseph Thompson and Seth Coleman were all out once again. Alex Palczewski was in a no contact jersey and RaVon Bonner was on the sidelines all of practice.

Today what I'll do is a projected starters and key players after two weeks of camp. If you guys want more specific details about camp today just ask in the comments below and I'll get you. I'll sprinkle in info here and there about practice today while going through the depth chart.

Offense:

Quarterback:
1. Brandon Peters
- Peters was the most consistent and accurate QB of camp and showed off enough athleticism to satisfy Rod's offensive system. He went through progressions, made solid deep ball throws and just controlled the offense the best. Easy decision here.

2. Isaiah Williams
- Williams has regressed the last couple days of camp, but I think he showed enough to be the second string quarterback and I think he could get snaps this year in run option packages. He flashed potential with his arm and legs, and also showed that he's a work in progress with his mechanics and understanding of the system. If you were to ask me if he's ready to start now, I would say no way. He's a freshman and his camp went about as expected honestly. Positive overall I think.

3. Matt Robinson
- Wildly inconsistent and potential transfer after this season I think

Running Back
1. Reggie Corbin (duh)
2. Mike Epstein
- Looks fully healthy and has had a really strong camp. Can he stay healthy is the question.

3. Tie between Jakari Norwood and Dre Brown
- Both players will get snaps this year. Brown had a hot start to camp but slowed down this week. Norwood has had a very impressive camp in my opinion. He carried this offense during the two minute drill today and his North-to-South speed out of the backfield will get him on the field.
4. Kenyon Sims

When RaVon Bonner comes back from injury, he'll get thrown in there too behind Epstein and Corbin.

Wide Receiver
Wide-outs: Ricky Smalling and Josh Imatorbhebhe
- Smalling had a bad camp overall IMO. Kind of saw him get overshadowed by the USC WRs. Nonetheless, he will be one of the starting wideouts simply because of talent and experience. Imatorbhebhe probably led the team in catches throughout camp and showed he's a reliable receiver for Peters. Freshman Casey Washington had a nice camp and he will get snaps too.

Slot: Trevon Sidney and Dominic Stampley
- In a three WR set, I think Sidney should get the nod over Stampley because he has better hands and is a better route runner, but Stampley has more home run potential and that alone will get him snaps. Kyron Cumby will get thrown in there too and may eventually surpass Stampley.

Tight End
1. Daniel Barker
- Barker had an amazing camp and showed he can be a mismatch problem for LBs and DBs. Knew perfectly in camp when to use his speed and route running to get separation from LBs and then use his size and strength to outmatch DBs. He caught everything thrown his way.

2. Justice Williams
- This position change seems to have worked out perfectly for all involved. Great hands, but not quite quick enough to get separation from CBs, but LBs can be a different story. Rod said he liked Williams' blocking too.
3. Don't think about it. I'm not.

Offensive line
RT: Alex Palczewski
- In concussion protocol, but fully expect him to be ready for Week 1.

RG: Richie Petibon
- I thought he had a nice camp and will be a serviceable RG this season while Verdis Brown continues to develop. Brown showed potential at RG this camp and I think he will fill the role next year. Liked what I saw from him.

C: Doug Kramer
LG: Kendrick Green

LT: Vederian Lowe
- I think Lowe had the best camp, if not one of the best camps, out of every player on the roster. He looked like a stud and someone who could go pro after a good season. His issue last season was consistency. Will this issue reoccur is the question with Lowe.

Shout out to Jake Stover who I thought looked like the best O-linemen beneath the first team and deserves to be on scholarship. Jake Cerny will be the next man up if someone goes down, and no one should feel good about that. And just think what that says about the rest of the guys beneath him.

Defense:

Defensive line

DE: Oluwole Betiku, Owen Carney
- Betiku established himself as the best pass rusher this camp, but wasn't dominant or anything. Carney had a fine camp, but doesn't appear like he'll step up to the plate to make significant contributions this year.

DT: Jamal Milan, Tymir Oliver, Deon Pate, Calvin Avery
DT: Jamal Woods, Lere Oladipo, Kenyon Jackson
- The Jamal's are no surprise, but Pate outshining Avery this camp was a surprise until you realized how out of shape Avery was which really rubbed the coaches the wrong way. Avery however had a monster day of camp, dominating everyone in 1v1s (including Kramer and Green easily and embarrassed Kieven Myers about 4 times in a row) and performed well during 11v11s again today. If he can keep this kind of motor up, then he should surpass Pate, but Pate has had a very good camp.

DE: Ayo Shogbonyo, Isaiah Gay, Marc Mondesir
- Gay was a huge disappointment this camp to me. He HAD to be the guy to step up at DE and he just doesn't look the part after watching him for two weeks. Shogbonyo showed a better overall game to me against the run and holding containment. I will say I don't think it will take much for Gay to surpass Shogbonyo, so if he picks it up just a little, then he will more than likely start Week 1.

The Freshman D-linemen will get red-shirted I think.

Linebackers
WLB: Jake Hansen
- Good camp and seems improved in coverage. Need to see it in a game before I believe it fully.

MLB: Dele Harding
- Amazing camp and he looks in charge of this defense. Expecting him to lead the team in tackles by a wide margin this year.

SLB: Milo Eifler
- Eifler separated himself from Delano Ware this past week of camp. Ware wasn't that much better in coverage than Eifler and Eifler showed an ability to get after the QB when he blitzed and make more plays in the run game. Good camp from Eifler.

**** MLB Tarique Barnes is ahead of Shammond Cooper on the depth chart and it's because he's more physically ready. WLB Khalan Tolson had a very good camp as well.

Secondary
CB: Nate Hobbs
SS: Sydney Brown
FS: Tony Adams
CB: Jartavius (Quan) Martin
- Really nice looking group if healthy, we all know by now that the depth isn't there whatsoever. Freshman CB Devon Witherspoon and Jr CB Nick Walker are the next guys up after that and that's tough. S Stanley Green will rotate in with the safeties occasionally. After that, Kerby Joseph and Kendall Smith are your two other scholarship DBs besides the injured Joseph Thompson and that's scary to think about. If injuries happen, don't be surprised if Adams gets moved to CB and Green just starts at S. Not a great situation, but your next best if something happens.

Special Teams
Kicker: James McCourt
- Was more accurate from what I saw, but team really likes Caleb Griffin, so if he does better next week, then he will probably start.

Punter: Blake Hayes (surprise)

KR(s): Kyron Cumby and Trevon Sidney
- Sidney could get substituted out for other players such as Dre Brown or Jakari Norwood if Rod doesn't want to worry about his chances of getting injured.

PR: Kyron Cumby
- May be Nate Hobbs in dire situations.

And that's it from 2019-2020 Illinois Camp Notes. Not too surprised from what I saw these last two weeks, team looks better but the bar was low for improvement. A lot of these starting spots are susceptible to change if guys perform better next week. This is just what I think the starters will look like if they had a game tomorrow.

Let me know what y'all think and if you have any questions. Thanks for following along all camp. Still have plenty of stories from camp to get written up, so be on the lookout for those, or don't, you do you.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News