ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts on the roster / recruiting

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Right now, Illinois has filled all 13 scholarships for 2023-24. It's likely that at least two spots will open up, IMO. Most expect TJ Shannon to enter the 2023 NBA Draft. At least one more spot will probably be vacated.

With two open rides, I'd expect Illinois to go after a point guard and a spot-up 4 type in the portal. Right now, all of the guards on the roster are combos, as is Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn They won't reach, so it could be another situation where all 13 spots aren't filled.

A starting 5 next year of Jayden Epps, RJ Melendez, Luke Goode, Coleman Hawkins, and Dain Dainja is solid. I'd prefer to have multiple ball handlers in the lineup, though. Neither Melendez or Goode are natural 2's. A big guard who can shoot would be a nice addition.

Illinois will continue playing the spread-motion offense. The 5-out experiment was a failure, and they don't really have the personnel to bring it back.

I really have no idea yet how good the two new kids Perrin and Moletti will be. They have good skill sets. Both are excellent passers. We'll see.

You have to be a least a little concerned with high school recruiting. Other than Morez Johnson, they don't seem to have much traction with top 50-75 types. You don't want to totally live in the Portal.

Once No. 1 ranked Xavier Booker (Michigan State) blew up Illinois was out. Other misses included Jeremy Fears, JP Estrella, Solomon Ball, Devin Royal. I like the kids they got, but who is the headliner?

Two kids in 2024 just left Illinois out of their top 5. Trentyn Flowers and Liam McNeeley. They were long shots, but Illinois did offer and recruit them early. Illinois doesn't appear to be a major player for anyone else in the Rivals150 in that class, at least not yet.

I think 2025 guards Bryce Heard and Trey McKinney are important recruits for Illinois. They need to get one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News