ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts headed into the Tournament

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Curbelo's usage rate is something to watch. He's at 32.4 for the season. Way too high. It needs to be around 17-18,

Kofi should benefit the most from the week off. He was lumbering down the stretch of the season. We should see an energetic game from him and more elevation around the rim.

The big thing with Chattanooga is you can't let their wings bully their way into the lane. They're not very quick, but they're physical.

I think ultimately Illinois will be too fast for the Mocs to guard. If Illinois has freedom of movement, they will get plenty of great looks at the basket. I think we'll see a lot of the three-guard lineup of Curbelo, Plummer, and Frazier. UTC can't guard them, IMO.

Coleman Hawkins is an emotional kid. I was surprised to see a player with his personality make such a quick change. He went from being unhappy about his role, to embracing the idea of contributing with effort plays. Great to see.

It's going to be tough for anyone in the South Region to take out Arizona. They're my pick to win the whole thing. I like Kansas a lot too.

Gonzaga doesn't have good enough guard play to advance to the Final 4, IMO.

Dain Dainja has a ways to go. He lost some weight, but still isn't in playing shape. He's strictly a post player right now, and e's more of a guy who will drive to the rim than post up with his back to the basket. His shot outside of 12 feet is pretty rough.

If they land Skyy Clark - and the confidence is growing that they will - that puts Illinois 2 over for 2022. Still, I think they may end up with one more ride to give in the offseason. They will monitor the portal. And it depends on Kofi, of course, and if Jacob Grandison opts to take his extra year of eligibility.

2024 should be a really good class for Illinois. Stacking classes. I'll have a new Block I Report out soon.

Underwood will listen to Kansas State. There's no reason for him not to. I think he stays at Illinois, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News