ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts ahead of tonight's game

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
* Quincy coach Steve Hawkins was the head coach at Western Michigan for a long time. This is his second stint at QU. He and Brad Underwood have known each other for years, so that's how this game materialized. Quincy is DII and are kind of starting over with Hawkins coming back, but they will guard both in the half court and in transition.

* I don't like the plan to play a lot of 5 out if that means Terrence Shannon Jr. becomes the primary ball-handler. He's the Illini's best scorer. He can bring the ball up on occasion. That's fine. But they need a primary ball handler in the lineup.

* It's generally believed that if they play a point guard it will be Skyy Clark or Jayden Epps, but I would add Ty Rodgers to that discussion. He's probably the best passer on the team. I'd worry a little about him turning it over, though. He mostly goes to his right, and he's a bit high when handling the ball. Clark is the best scorer of the 3. Epps is strongest with the ball.

* 3-point shooting is a big key for Coleman Hawkins. I like him in attack mode and crashing the glass like in the second-half of last season, and that would be fine this year. But if he is to take a leap forward like some are projecting, his perimeter shooting needs to be better. He rushed things and the shot was flat last year. I'd like to see him improve like Jacob Grandison did.

* Matthew Mayer is going to be a problem for Quincy. 6-foot-10, excellent motor, and he should get a bunch of rebounds. Bad matchup for the Hawks.

* Expect to see some sloppy play. Illinois has the skill sets to attack off the bounce, but they haven't done it all that much. The narrative after this game will be 1. we aren't ready for the season yet, and 2. we need to recalibrate the rotation.

* On most nights, the small-ball lineup will be fine. It will have issues with bigger teams in the Big Ten like Purdue and Michigan.

* The first part of the season people will be talking about 1. subpar 3-point shooting, 2. the need for a veteran PG that wasn't achieved through the Portal, 3. Turnovers. 4. Excessive fouling.

Remember, Underwood teams tend to start slow and that' s amplified when it's a rebuilt roster and new style of play. They will be better in February as usual. This team has a chance to be good, but there will be hiccups early.

* I'm looking forward to seeing Dain Dainja. Finally. He's the mystery man. I've seen every player play live except Dainja and Sencire Harris.

Questions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News