ADVERTISEMENT

A few quick hitters on the scrimmage

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Really long scrimmage. They will have a ton film to look at to evaluate guys. Much-needed day off on Sunday.

The biggest take-away is that the 1's did what they are supposed to do...dominated the 2's. Few reps for Wes Lunt but he was sharp when in there. First play from scimmage...25 yard TD to Malik Turner. 2nd play...25 yard TD to Geronimo Allison.

The No. 2 offensive line gave up a ton of sacks. They rotated different guys to try to find the right mix, but it never jelled. Gabe Megginson shared reps with Jordan Fagan at the No. 2 RT. They would probably like to redshirt Megginson and have him as a four year starter. Probably at guard next year with Karras graduating.

Henry Enyenihi had a really nice scrimmage. He's much more fluid of a runner than in the spring and has really worked on his body, lowered his body fat % and gaining speed. He's the clear No. 3 RB right now and could be a factor. No. 2 if Vaughn is out for any length of time.

I'm sure Eric Finney would like to have the play back in which he dove at Ke'Shawn Vaughn from behind and hit him low. You do not tackle low in practice, but it was an instinctive play. No word on Vaughn's status. It was definitely the left ankle. Big ice pack on it, and he went to the locker room on crutches and never returned.

Freshman WR Sam Mays had a very good night. One of the best plays of the scrimmage was a 30 yard TD catch by Mays from Chayce Crouch. Tight coverage, but Mays high-pointed it and made a great catch.

Defensively, DJ Smoot was the biggest standout. He was in the offensive backfield all night. 5 or 6 sacks for Smoot, I would guess.

Smoot at SDE and Phillips at LEO is a good look vs. the pass, but I worry about the ability to hold edge vs. a Big Ten running game. Need Jihad Ward back, obviously. They are down to walk-on Brandon Roberts as the No. 2 SDE.

Teko Powell got reps with the 1's, 2's, and 3's. I assume they are working on his stamina.

As expected, Clayton Fejedelem was really good against the run. He has good instincts, smells out plays, and puts on some big hits. Good player.

Sounds like Mason Monheim is fine. He will be ready to go on Monday, I presume. With Monheim sitting it out, Julian Jones repped with the No. 2 defense. I really like that kid's upside - fast, quick, and fluid athlete with good length. Future starter.

Chris Boles was solid at left guard. While he's been a pleasant surprise, he's also had a bad day or two at Rantoul. So it was good to see him play well tonight.

CB Darius Mosely dinged his right shoulder. Could have just been a stinger, but I'm not sure.

Bentley in the return game...just wow. He can fly. Expect a long return against Kent State.

TE Tyler White was back full go and played well. He had a TD catch.

They really like frosh RB Reggie Corbin, especially on passing downs, but he fumbled then took a seat for a while.

LB TJ Neal went to the locker room seeing stars. Looked like he got his bell rung.

Jimmy Fitzgerald further separated himself from Jeff George Jr. as the No. 3 QB, IMO.

Reactions: Frankie Williams
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News