ADVERTISEMENT

Would NCAA Basketball be compelling without 5* players?

IlliniJoe81

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
I'm sure some 4* players are getting paid, but presumably the most egregious stuff happens trying to land 5* players. These guys could command salaries of $100K at least (much more in many cases) so it's not fair to limit them to a $50K scholarship, hence the incentive for a corrupt system. If the elite guys all go to a minor league NBA team, is the college game still compelling?

I'd say yes. It would be very much like college baseball where there are plenty of guys who went pro out of high school but another group of guys who develop into stars over time. Duke is still Duke, even if it's a roster full of 4* juniors and seniors, as opposed to one-and-done players. I don't even remember half of these Kentucky teams that are turned over every year.

The absolute worst part of college basketball is these 5* recruitments. As Illini fans, we've gotten rolled year after year when we're getting outbid. At least with the 4* guys we have a chance. There is more reward for scouting guys that fit your system, developing your players, and creating a culture around your program. It's not just about getting the best bag men.

NBA players are amazing. I love watching the best. However, the college game is compelling for other reasons. The NCAA Tournament will still be amazing. I think it will be better if a guy stars on a championship team as a sophomore and then comes back as a junior to defend his title because it's like football or baseball and you have to wait to get drafted. I still hate JJ Redick. I don't care at all about Jahlil Okafor.

So I hope the corrupt NCAA system goes down in flames and we start over again with something that we can root for without having to willfully ignore what is really happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News