ADVERTISEMENT

Thunder For Freedom

BigWill

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Sorry Doug, I'm pumped up.

This past weekend the Blue Angels performed at Stewart Air Port outside Newburgh NY.

I live about 10 miles from there in a valley and am in part of the flight path that they take and also work part time in Newburgh also under their flight path.

Anyone that hasn't seen the Blue Angels of the Air Force Thunderbirds perform should put it on your bucket list. I have seen the Blue Angels several times, along at John's Graduation at USNA and Amiee was their personal trainer she and John were stationed at Pensacola and John was in Pilot training.

So anyway on Sat I was in Newburgh and they were flying over me at well under 500 feet and you hear a screaming and then look where you think the screaming is coming from and they are far in front of the screaming noise.

The noise 10 miles away sounds like rumbling thunder, but not just for a moment but for 15-30 minutes. Then you see them by in a flight or even solo and it makes your hairs on your arms stand up.That's with 7 jets and never over 700 MPH (top speed is 1,200mph).

I couldn't not think of if Kim Jong-un was able to watch and extrapolate that 3 Aircraft Carrier Groups (recently offshore and within the F-18's range) each carry 50+ F18 Hornets and Super Hornets and Growlers (electronic warfare F18s) per carrier.

Each F18 can carry 17,000 pounds of various munitions. The math works out to 2,550,000 pounds of munitions per mission. It can carry 500 to 2,000 lb bombs all which can be JDAM precision guided from up to 15 miles from a target.

This does not include the other ships of a AC group, which typically contains a Cruiser, Destroyers and Subs, all Tomahawk missile carrying in various load outs. One Sub can carry up to 124 Tomahawks, a Burke Class Destroyer up to 56 (usually there are 2 Burke per AC Group). Note the Tomahawk can be programmed to loiter over air space for later secondary targeting.

Note this doesn't include the USAF in South Korea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News