ADVERTISEMENT

The Old Days

SNDestroyU

Jan 8, 2007
Out of boredom I started looking at some of the past Illini teams before my time. My first memory of an Illini game, in person, was in the late 70's as a kid. The real Mark Smith was my favorite Illini back than. The teams with him, Eddie Johnson, Derek Holcomb, Levi Cobb, James Griffin, Neal Bresnahan, & Rob Judson were such a joy to witness.

Now that I'm in my 50's I think back and reflect on my greatest Illini memories. Obviously the 2005 team, and the 1989 team come to mind, but Eddie Johnson's winning shot over #1 Michigan State & Magic Johnson will live on forever in my mind. There were so many great players in the years shortly after this team. Guys like Craig Tucker, James Griffin, recently inducted hall of fame member Derek Harper, Big George Montgomery, Perry Range, Bruce Douglas, Efrem Winters, Anthony Welch, Scott Meents, Doug Altenberger, and the Snake Ken Norman. These guys led up to the team of Battle, Liberty, Anderson, & Gill and company. I had an uncle that played pickup basketball with Bruce Douglas in Quincy, IL. As a kid in the 70's one of my best memories was Nerf Hoop. We'd flip a coin to see who had the Illini players, and the loser of the coin toss had to use Purdue or Indiana players lol. I remember my grandma yelling at me for many dining room dunks over Joe Barry Carroll or Russell Cross.

I'd love to hear some memories from the likes of Combes and others. I didn't realize Gene Bartow only coached one season. Another thing I wasn't aware of was the fact that Nick Weatherspoon averaged 25 points & 12 rebounds per game his senior year in 72/73. I bet he was a stud. He did go on to play in the NBA. I've never been one to live in the past, but we sure had some really good teams, with some very special players. After reading the article about Derek Harper being inducted into the 4th Illini Basketball Hall of Fame Class, it had my mind racing with memories. I'll never forget that regional final loss to Kentucky. We were shafted. Hopefully there's many more special Illini memories to come.

Last year I took my 5 year old grandson to his first Illini game, and for Christmas this year I bought him a Nerf Hoop. My wife said, "He won't play with that". She bought him a fancy 4 wheeler to ride. A few weeks back our daughter was over visiting, and my wife asked her if he loves his new 4 wheeler. She said yes, but since dad bought him that stupid Nerf Hoop she now has two boys. Her husband, and my grandson play Nerf Hoop every night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News