ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you, Illini Nation.

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
I am home in Pittsburgh after my latest visit to Memorial Stadium, the most beautiful stadium I have ever visited, and I have been to over fifty. (Although I was saddened to see the wonderful eastern facade now partially obscured by the new football building construction.) From the classical lines of the exterior to the sparkling interior, I can think of none better.

Illinois has been my favorite away destination since 1994, and not because of the game, but the aftermath. After having my car vandalized over the years by Pitt fans on three occasions, I was understandably apprehensive about the condition of my car after such a hard fought game. An Illini fan with a puckish sense of humor had removed my Penn State vanity state license plate and reinstalled it upside down. I appreciated the gesture and thought maybe this Big Ten thing might work out after all.

Subsequent visits to Champaign have only cemented my initial impression. Yesterday was no exception. I had pleasant conversations with fans, police, security, ushers and even scalpers. (I did find it odd that the scalper who sold me the ticket asked for a tip.)

I also look forward to your game atmosphere. Your band is terrific and I enjoy the way they interact with the student section, which is entertaining in its own right. The pre-game performance is first rate. You have the best use of a video screen I have seen. The camera seems to always catch the right people. Last night was the first time I experienced a university paying tribute to our underappreciated educators. Well done! Unlike Beaver Stadium, your speakers are not so loud as to require earplugs and allow conversations with neighboring fans.

Thanks for another enjoyable visit. Good luck against Rutgers and the rest of the way. I wish you success in all of your games (with one obvious exception) every year. I hope to see you all again in two years.

ADVERTISEMENT