Oskee Wow Wow and Chief Illiniwek

CriticalObserver

Sep 22, 2019
Very decent of you. I didn't realize Bret had an Iowa connection. Or I forgot he did. It should be an interesting game today. I arrived in Iowa City about 2:00 PM yesterday.

GolfHacker1

Sep 22, 2014
I thought it was pretty obvious Lovie left Bret (out of respect to his covid situation. After he is deemed ok, I'll call him by his rightful name BURT) a very decent group of linemen. That gives Bret a head start, becuase Bret is going to build a B1G type of team.

Illinois played a lot of man cover, single safety over the top. The Illinois fan that sat close to us disagreed with this, and I'm assuming he had to be from Chicago to be as stupid as he was. It was pretty obvious to anyone who understands football what was going on. Bret knew we have 2-3 playmaker receivers, and he game planned for this and to shore up pass defense.

And then Iowa ran the ball. And Iowa fans melted down about the passing game against a not very good pass defense. Some Iowa fans, not all Iowa fans. The stupid ones. Who likely came from Chicago. That's the only explanation I have.

Illinois running game plan was try to get outside. That was obvious. They couldn't. Iowa's offensive line, very young, and a work in progress, looked improved. That was really the game.

Half of Iowa's secondary was out. In the first quarter Iowa LB got beat badly. 2 plays later Iowa sends 2 on blitz, and Illinois throws a screen into it.

Late 1st quarter Iowa CB gets beat by same pattern as Iowa LB earlier.

4 on 3, miscommunication LB / CASH, and TE is uncovered.............................................

I could keep going and schematically break down the entire game if you wanted me to, but but I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.

Iowa is a pretty young team, and they've dug themselves a hole several time this season. And dug out of the hole successfully several times. I'd not sleep on Iowa the next several seasons unless there are unforeseen events. Which there usually are in college football in recent years.

Let me preface my Illinois observations by stating Lovie started a lot of the improvements. He did, and it was clear during his tenure. A bit surprised that there was so much anger in the Illinois fanbase, but that was misplaced. Also understandable since a portion of that fanbase is upstate, and probably clueless about football, and everything else.

I don't know the years of the Illinois players, but if the lines, or most of the lines return intact, that will be serviceable going forward. The running back is a decent B1G rb.

I need to eat my Thanksgiving Eve pizza, so maybe more later. But I don't think anyone who pays close attention to Illinois football doesn't have reason for optimism after seeing what Lovie started, and Bret is building on. It is clear, and has been for several seasons. Some will disagree, but ask them to breakdown the game, and be entertained by what comes out of their mouths. In a word they are idiots, and probably the reason Illinois doesn't celebrate and honor Chief Illiniwek any longer.

GolfHacker1

Sep 22, 2014
Odd year. Win 10 games and it’s a disappointment. Back into the CCG. Not sure what to make of it except Iowa isn’t a complete team, and the team isn’t even close to one of the better Iowa teams. And yet, here we are.

Reactions: emathews8

GolfHacker1

Sep 22, 2014
Yes. I'll leave from Indy tomorrow before lunch, and leave from Indy Sunday morning straight to Pompano Beach.

I did look it up, 5-7 teams are eligible for bowl game this year. Not sure how possible that is. I though I heard there were enough 6-6 teams slotted.

What's the status on The Fight Burt Biel Bretlama's?

Uncoach

Dec 8, 2011
Directed toward your comment in the Iowa game post…The “anger” of the Illinois fan base toward Lovie wasn’t misplaced. He did not leave a better situation than what he was given. I will stop there.

GolfHacker1

Sep 22, 2014
Lovie rid Illinois of a bunch of players. That was a net positive. He never really filled the holes though, and I think that criticism is warranted. When Lovie arrived that team looked like a high school team in terms of size. It was noticeable on the sidelines.

Reactions: CriticalObserver

GolfHacker1

Sep 22, 2014
We have OL and QB issues. I don't think any Iowa fans are 100% pleased with last year's 10 wins and the B1G West title. A lot of frustration about not be able to take the next step.

I've not spent a lot of time breaking down any other team yet. I will, but I'm not there yet.

GolfHacker1

Sep 22, 2014
O line and FG kicker are the two areas that have questions, and the difference between Iowa football, and Iowa football being in the CCG.

B1G West Purdue and Minnesota could surprise. Minnesota would be a bigger surprise to me. Wiscy should be Wiscy. NW seems to have challenges, but never count out the Flying Fittz'z, and Illinois should be improved, although a large percentage of your fanbase will have no idea what they're watching. Based on being at every Iowa Illinois game for a long, long time, and listening to fans in the stands, which is of course anecdotal.

It's wat too early though. I went to spring scrimmage, it's not a game, yesterday, and I don't have my head around Iowa, let alone anyone else currently.

GolfHacker1

Sep 22, 2014
All we need is an improved offensive line and an average QB. We get that and we comin!

Tougher schedule on paper this season, but who knows, after a disappointing 10 win season last year, we’re all ready for something good to happen. Honestly it might be 23 or 24 before it happens. Still very young, that’s why last season was disappointing on the surface, but after drilling down we probably over performed given what we had, especially on the o line.

Very well could be a better team in 22, and finish 8-4. 8-4 in the B1G West is obviously not what we’re looking for.

Latest posts