ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri thoughts....

Brad S

Nov 22, 2002
-Illinois had 4 players that were awful beyond belief yesterday. Williams, Feliz, Bezhanishvili, and Nichols. Williams is just not more than a 10 minute per game bench player. The fact they expect more says more about our coaching staff than Williams. Giorgi is a fun guy we all love, but his antics are ridiculous. His 6 turnovers are bad, but he gets into altercations with elbows and his attempts to be physical are, well, silly. He's the best, only?, good passer though. I'm not sure what has happened to Feliz, but he hasn't been the same player since the Maryland end game turnover and foul. He missed the FTs against Michigan and didn't score yesterday in just 16 minutes. And he missed so many open passes. Kipper Nichols is not very good either, but he plays because Illinois has not recruited well enough.

-Illinois can't shoot, and this is across the board. There is no offensive spacing because there doesn't need to be. Trent Frazier, just put a taller player on him and he can't get good looks, and he is the only threat. I'm tired of hearing about the 'elite' shooters. Alan Griffin is not an elite shooter. At least he isn't an elite maker. Yes, he's better than DaMonte, but so is everyone else. He is 0-11 from 3 against Division I teams.

-Illinois led 19-13 and I thought the game changed there. Pinson, who came in 3-22 from 3, drains a 27 footer at the end of the shot clock and Missouri finishes the half on a run.

-Offensively, Illinois has no clue what to do. They run spread, dribble weave and a high ball screen. Very little auxillary action. Missouri trapped ball screens, didn't allow Kofi roll options, cut off the dribble weave and defended the spread. Because Illinois has nobody who can create, they can't score.

-Kofi had some moments, but he also was not very good, struggled to understand how they were defending him and he had 2 rebounds. He needs to finish his shots around the rim.

-The offensive rebounds and putbacks killed Illinois in the 2nd half. You force a bad shot and give up an easy one. The guys standing and watching the Missouri guys go after the ball showed who wanted it more.

-The Illinois gameplan was questionable, but Missouri had a guy who was 4-14 from 3 hit 2 of 3 and a guy who was 3-22 hit 2-3. Illinois allowed Dru Smith to get his pull up jumpers, which is a strength for him.

-I saw Ayo create off the dribble in the half court a few times. But I am beginning to wonder if the offensive system is more of an issue than the personnel.

-Illinois needs 11 Big Ten wins. They have 1 right now. They will win some games but this is another example of their inability to find a consistent effort and why it doesn't look like they will be an NCAA tourney team. Lots of basketball left to be played, but there are no easy games left after NC A&T.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News