ADVERTISEMENT

Illini practice notes 8-8-16

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
The Illini practiced from 11:00am-1:15pm on Monday.

* It was the first day in full pads, and a few guys were nicked up. DE Gimel President was helped off the field with a left leg injury. He was limping around after practice. Freshman DT Kenyon Jackson twisted his ankle and spent some time on the trainers' table. No serious injuries, according to Lovie Smith in the post-practice.

* Standouts in 1-on-1's today were Dawaune Smoot, Joe Spencer, Nick Allegretti, Jamal Milan.I like seeing the O-line hold their own against this talented D-line. Facing them every day is going to make them better.

* The offensive line in this offense has a "quick" side and a "strong" side, and they flip flop according to the formation and play call. Starters on the quick side are G Allegretti and T DiLauro. Strong side is G Brennan or Megginson and T Schmidt. Brennan was with the 1's today, Megginson with the 2's. That's not a huge surprise. Megginson is still thinking too much.

* The defense dominated the first couple of days, but the offense is starting to click. They're getting their timing down and are more crisp executing as guys learn their roles. Lunt was really good. We saw today how he can pick apart zone defenses. He drops the ball into the soft spot as well as any QB in the country.

* About 90% of the playbook is in. It's a matter of refining things now and getting reps in. Defense worked on all of the coverages today, gap assignments, and blitz packages. The offense stretched the field a little bit more today with some throws the deep outside. But it's an offense predicated on exploiting mismatches, so there are a lot of short throws vs. linebackers.

* Players who need to cut weight got some extra conditioning after practice. 40-yard sprints.

* There probably won't be many recruits visiting for a while with high school football starting practice.

* TE Anslie Johnson got reps with the first team offense. He's short, but physical. They will use him as a blocker, obviously, but he also caught a couple of passes today on stick routes.

* QB Jimmy Fitzgerald is still absent. Lovie Smith said he didn't have any new information.

I'll have a story this week on my biggest take-aways from the 1st week of practice. Here's a sneak peek:

Biggest takeaways. Defensive line is dominant and deep. Fans will see a completely different scheme and approach on offense.

Concerns: Lack of depth everywhere but DL. Who will be the play-maker in the WR corps? Inexperience in the secondary.

Break-out performers: DT Jamal Milan and OG Nicky Allegretti. Other candidates include RB Kendrick Foster, LB Justice Williams, WR Zach Grant, RB Reggie Corbin. A few others.

Freshmen to watch: WR Dominic Thieman is a polished receiver. I heard he could push Justin Hardee for time at the X-receiver spot. I don't know if he will play this year, but I like the natural ability and size of CB Evan Jones. Zarrian Holcombe is working with the wideouts, but I think will be a flex tight end once he gains strength. He's a kid that the staff has to push at times. Needs maturity.

Position battles: Connor Brennan vs. Gabe Megginson at guard. Darwyn Kelly vs. Caleb Day at strong safety. Chris James vs. Dillan Cazley at nickel.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News