ADVERTISEMENT

Illini practice notes 8-5-16

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
The Illini were back on the practice field on Friday from 2:30-4:30. The thunderstorms held off, and it was a great day for football. Overcast and in the mid-80's.

Same script as Thursday: Walk-thrus, warm ups, individual, 7v7, and team. They packed a lot of reps into a 2-hour practice.

Recruting visitors included 2018 DB Tyrik Henderson and Greg Newsome from Glenbard North, 2018 offensive lineman Trevor Keegan from Chrystal Lake South, and 2018 CB Derric Lee from Aurora (Ill.) Wabonsie Valley.

There's a possibility that East St. Louis WR Jeff Thomas could visit this weekend.

Here are some of the notes I made by position group:

Offensive line: The starters seem set with DiLauro and Schmitd at tackles, Allegretti and Megginson at guard, and Spencer at center. DiLauro missed most of practice due to a class. Adam Solomon filled in with the 1's. Allegretti has really setttled in - I love what I'm seeing from him. Megginson still has a ways to go technique wise. The staff is high on freshman Doug Kramer. He is on scholarship this fall instead of gray shirting. Scrappy kid, tough, and moves pretty well. He could possibly be a starter at center down the road. Fish and Gavin are also decent looking freshmen, but a couple of years away. Darta Lee is out of shape, as I mentioned yesterday.

Running back: Thad Ward said that Foster and Corbin are still battling to back up Vaugh, but Foster got most of the No.2 reps and also repped with the 1's. He's one of the good news stories of camp so far. John Supinie is going to write a story about him. Foster looks very good.

Quarterback: Jimmy Fitzgerald missed the first two days of camp for "personal reasons". Lovie Smith didn't elaborate or project when he will be back. Wes Lunt has been pretty sharp so far, but there's still a lot of work to do to get the timing down. McGee called some read options when both Chayce Crouch and Jeff George Jr. were in the lineup. This is a different look offense with a lot of misdirection stuff and throwing on the move.

Wide receiver / TE: Malik Turner, Justin Hardee, and Sam Mays are all solid. They still seem to be looking for that 4th guy. Plenty of reps for Dominic Thieman, Zach Grant, Desmond Cain, and Dionte Taylor, but no clear cut 4th guy yet. Illinois will throw to the tight end...finally. Quick outs, waggle plays, stick routes, crossing routes. The TE gets the ball. I don't know if he can block, but Caleb Reams is a heck of a receiver. Sneaky athletic and great hands. Reams had a long reception down the right sideline on a nice ball from George.

Defensive line: These guys are really good and super confident. Smoot, Clements, Phillips, and Milan are all studs. Lovie Smith said they plan to rotate quite a few guys up front and keep them fresh. Freshman Tymir Oliver is playing DT. He fits best as a 3-technique. With an eye on next year, Zeke Martin was moved from OL and is now playing DT. He's big and strong, but raw.

Linebackers: Hardy Nickerson is known as a run stuffer, but he looked very good in coverage today. They ask a lot of the MLB vs. the pass, with a deep drop, and Nickerson was really quick getting depth in his zone. Same starters today...Nickerson, James Crawford, and Justice Williams. Freshmen MLB Dele' Harding got a few more reps today with the 3's. He's talented, but still learning and is hesitant at times.

Secondary: Caleb Day was back running with the 1's at strong safety today, with Darwyn Kelly also still getting some first team reps. Good position battle there. Taylor Barton told me that they will run a lot of cover 2 just like Lovie did in the NFL. It's the base defense. That fits well with the Illini corners, who cover well in the flats. Chris James and Dillan Cazley are in a battle to be the nickel.

Your questions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News