ADVERTISEMENT

I rewatched the controversial sequence at the beginning of the 3rd quarter

PersianIllini

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2004
It began with Bentley taking a knee in the end zone for a touchback. Then we begin:

1st and 10, ball on IL 25: Lunt pass to G-Mo for 9 yards
2nd and 1, ball on IL 34: Vaughn run for 4 yards

At this point, I see the sticks weren't set properly; the 1st down marker is at the IL 45, three yards short

1st and 10, ball on IL 38: Vaughn run for 6 yards
2nd and 4, ball on IL 44: Vaughn run for -3 yards
3rd and 7, ball in IL 41: Lunt pass to G-Mo for 4 yards
4th and 3, ball on IL 45

Now here is where it gets all screwy -- because the chain gang had the sticks at the wrong place, one of them (far side of the field) changes the dial-a-down marker to first, because based on where it is, it's either 1st and 10 or 4th and inches. Clock continues to run. Dial-a-down is changed back to 4th down. Cubit lines Crouch up in the wildcat, thinking of going for it, then Nebraska calls timeout as the play clock is running down.

Then the officials call for a review. The BTN announcers start talking and wonder if the refs missed a down. Which is complete BS. It was supposed to be 4th and 3, a likely punting situation. Even the dial-a-down shouldn't have confused them, because Lunt's pass to G-Mo was on 3rd down. After review, the refs call for a measurement, which comes up short. They signal 1st and 10 Nebraska. Unbelievable. We get only 3 downs instead of 4. The reverse of 5th down. Thankfully, our D was able to get the ball back, though we would have had much better field position without the refs completely blowing it.

I realize we won in the end, and their incompetence actually helped us on our last drive (the late review of G-Mo's first down catch gave us a redo of a play that worked in our favor, though I should point out that if that play had been a big gain, the late review would have wiped it out). Still, you absolutely cannot have refs who are this inept calling a game. I hope they're fired tomorrow.

Reactions: Frankie Williams
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News