ADVERTISEMENT

Game 1: Youngstown State @ Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
YSU OL just pushed our DL 5 yards down the field... Simply pathetic

Going to be a long long season. Can't run the ball against Youngstown State? Punter still kicking line drive 35 yard punts?

Unfortunately this is why I sit here at home today switching between college football games. I just can't take the frustration of driving to Champaign anymore and sitting through this. On top of that it's probably the least exciting TV viewing experience of all the games on. It's just sad where Illinois Football is these days. I'm not sure how it's every going to change...Sorry to be a downer on the first game of the year.

Pluses:
*Defense is playing well
*Lunt is figuring it out; could have a big second half

Minuses:
*YSU is hurting themselves with penalties; can't count on that to last
*We can't run the ball

Originally posted by daija1005:
the offense still has a LOT of work to do !!
Haha, I would think half way thru the first game with new QB, lots of new receivers. However, our OL pigs aren't getting any push which is a concern. They are much bigger & stronger than the YS D-Line, so it's about want and toughness. Hopefully they get more aggressive running the ball. Does Fergie look not as "quick" this year?

I would like to see Dudek work the middle and underneath routes more, however Barr doesn't look bad. Turner is gunna be a good one I'm thinking

Originally posted by turboja2003:
Wilford looking for the upset

Another top Zook assistant and recruiter
It's Wohlford (may not have the "h," though), and I always thought he was the most overrated person associated with Illini sports when JJ was in charge.

He obviously fed JJ with information, and in return was way overhyped. Decent OL coach and solid recruiter, but there's a reason he's not setting the world on fire at YSU (he's nothing special). Again, not bad, but not exceptional.

Really bad O-line play. But at some point you have to commit to the run. Get in a rhythm. D has been pretty stout for playing almost the entire first half. Typical Illinois D on the little dump off 50 yd run after catch. Guys out of position taking terrible pursuit angles. Overall thoroughly underwhelmed.

I think the state of the program is summed up by the fact that it's halftime and there are less than two full pages of comments here in the Game Thread for today. A few years ago there would have been 5 or 6 pages on the first half of a game. We're seeing, I think, that Beckman is in over his head when it comes to being a head coach in the B10. Good, well coached teams don't embarrass themselves at home against teams they should have many advantages over. We are a lucky penalty away from trailing at halftime in the home opener. In his third year, it's clear every week Beckman clearly is not a "difference maker" coach that we need. Yes, it's the first game of the year, need to "get the bugs out" and all those other excuses, but YSU should have the same jitters and they should be LEADING at halftime on us.
furious.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Illini_Mots:
Really bad O-line play. But at some point you have to commit to the run. Get in a rhythm. D has been pretty stout for playing almost the entire first half. Typical Illinois D on the little dump off 50 yd run after catch. Guys out of position taking terrible pursuit angles. Overall thoroughly underwhelmed.
Apparent TAMU and WKU missed the memo of needing to commit to the run, and threw for 500+ yards each while putting up a combined 111 points.

I'm not saying never run, but you have to move the ball if you want to win cfb games these days. And one way is a whole lot easier than the other.

Originally posted by reykjavik2:
I think the state of the program is summed up by the fact that it's halftime and there are less than two full pages of comments here in the Game Thread for today. A few years ago there would have been 5 or 6 pages on the first half of a game. We're seeing, I think, that Beckman is in over his head when it comes to being a head coach in the B10. Good, well coached teams don't embarrass themselves at home against teams they should have many advantages over. We are a lucky penalty away from trailing at halftime in the home opener. In his third year, it's clear every week Beckman clearly is not a "difference maker" coach that we need. Yes, it's the first game of the year, need to "get the bugs out" and all those other excuses, but YSU should have the same jitters and they should be LEADING at halftime on us.
furious.r191677.gif
It is literally insane that not just a few people on this board but arguably the plurality have bought into Beckman building something. He's absolutely horrendous, one of the five least competent FBS HCs and that may be charitable.

I think most on this board realize that Beckman isn't the answer. Nothing to say until the games are played. I think the stands are showing how people feel about CTB.

Originally posted by reykjavik2:
furious.r191677.gif
I agree with what dtrain has been saying. Coaching here has been horrific for years. Beckman may be the worst out of all of them. He has shown me zero. Doesn't matter if you have Lunt back there or Jameis Winston, some coaches can get a lot out of players and the sum is greater than the parts. And then you have the type of coaches we've had at Illinois like Beckman and his predecessors, where players and teams always look much worse than they should.

We are in trouble!!!!

Wow. What happens if we lose this?

Same play every time. They don't pass. Come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT