2020 Big Ten Preview: The Top Three Outside of the Top Three

Greg Ohlson

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2002
THE TOP THREE OUTSIDE OF THE TOP THREE

6.MICHIGAN

Two big questions going forward:

1)Will Isaiah Livers return?

2)Will Chaundee Brown gain eligibility right away?

Both answers reportedly are yes at the moment……but could change. If they both end up being a yes, the Wolverines will be a big-time threat as Livers, Franz Wagner, and Brown would be outstanding on the perimeter with Eli Brooks and grad transfer Mike Smith manning the point guard position.

Up front, big-time freshman Hunter Dickinson (7-foot-1) should be a major factor next year and will likely start at center. Frontcourt depth will be provided by junior forward Brandon Johns, Senior center Austin Davis, and freshmen forwards Terrance Williams and Jace Howard (Juwaan’s son).

Along with Smith, junior guard Adrien Nunez and freshman guard Zeb Jackson will be providing the depth in the backcourt.

Purdue transfer Nojel Eastern picked Michigan this week but unless he gets a waiver, he’ll be waiting for 2021 or will be never suiting up in the maze and blue.

Michigan will be very solid if they have Livers and Brown but the post game could be very shaky when Dickinson is on the bench. They need Johns and Davis to step up this year.

If Livers doesn’t return, I feel they will drop at least 2 or 3 spots in the rankings.

5.Illinois

This preview sees Ayo in the NBA and Kofi returning.

Call me crazy but I don’t get all the transfer talk with the Illini…..sure I’d be fine with us adding Michael Foster as a re-classify because he would be a game-changer but otherwise I think this roster will be extremely strong.

As has been discussed Kofi would start at center with Giorgi likely backing him up (could start if he can start making some 3’s) and then the three guard/wing spots will likely go to Curbelo, Frazier, and Miller in my opinion. Either way, a lot of wings/guards will play because that would leave a bench with DaMonte Williams

and Austin Hutcherson at guard. If the season began today, another guy who can play wing might start at the four in Jacob Grandison……..I think he’ll be challenged by BBV, who has a nice shot, and seems like a guy who can really help on the glass. Coleman Hawkins can make shots so I feel he might see some minutes as a freshman.

Jermaine Hamlin is a nice big to have for depth. No one knows how he will develop over the next three years if he stays at Illinois…..even if it’s just a strong shot-blocking back-up, it’s better than nothing.

It all starts with Coburn…..he’s a game-changer…..he’ll be improved and he’s already special….I love the spirit and defense from DaMonte but having five guys on the court that can score and shoot consistently is going to make Illinois very dangerous. Curbelo and Miller will be the best new backcourt since and Deron and Dee and I feel Hutcherson and Grandison will be huge the next two seasons. If it all comes together, the Illini could challenge for the Big Ten title.

4.Michigan State

I know this may surprise some people but I don’t see Xavier Tillman returning……NBA scouts love him as the 2019-20 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year is moving up draft boards by the day…..he also has two young children so I just don’t see him coming back…..if he does, the Spartans immediately move into the top three and would have a great chance of winning the league. Missing his shot-blocking, rebounding, and leadership clearly knock them down a few notches.

So who replaces him? Both Junior Marcus Bingham (6-9) and highly rated freshman Mady Sissoko are not big-time post scorers but both are very strong shot blockers who should make things very difficult inside. Scoring up front should come from sophomore transfer (Marquette), Joey Hauser, who can score both inside and out. He’ll be backed up by a solid group of forwards: Gabe Brown, Thomas Kithier, and Julius Marble.

Junior Aaron Henry is not likely to go to the NBA and should be one of the best wings in the league.

The other wing will be Joshua Langford IF and it’s a huge IF he’s healthy…..the former highly regarded prospect hasn’t played since 2018 so that will be a big question mark heading into the season.

Point guard Rocket Watts was one of the best freshmen in the league last year and should be a stud for them going forward. Back-up wings/guards for the Spartans will be Malik Hall, Foster Loyer, and four-star freshman A.J. Hoggard.

Once again, MSU will be a threat but in my opinion there are just two many questions marks to put them in the top three at this moment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News