ADVERTISEMENT

Tomorrow’s game could define our season

IlliniJoe81

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
I have no feel for this team. I was predicting amazing things and did not see that Rutgers result coming.

We have 5 games left. Probably need 4-1 to get a share of the title. I feel really good about Penn State and Iowa games. The other 3 (@MSU, @Mich, vs tOSU) will be dogfights.

This game is basically a toss-up. I haven’t seen a spread yet but it should be EVEN (give or take a point.)

Michigan State is slumping and they are going to be angry. Illinois had a bad trip to the Pizza Hut parking lot and BU is furious. Last year MSU beat the hell out of us and broke Ayo’s face. At home we limped to the finish to beat them by 1 without Kofi. That was the “culture win.”

We’re a 4 seed right now. If we slide to the 5/6 range it will be an uphill battle to the Sweet 16. We’ve basically been in or near first place all Big Ten season so our goal is a banner.

Even more important than the result is the collective Illini psyche. Our identity has been Kofi + 3’s and dominating the glass. Now seeds of doubt have been planted. Our 5 starters that have carried us are all slumping a bit. Angry crowds have smelled blood in the water and the air balls and passed up shots are mounting. 90% shooters are missing free throws. Things could get bleak around here pretty fast.

On the other hand, this could be a turning point. Maybe we see a new starting lineup that sparks a winning streak. Maybe we out-Izzo Izzo and find that edge that kicks us to the next level. Maybe our talent rises up and RJ becomes a star. Curbelo could start clicking and finding his preseason form. Maybe Hawkins gets his mojo back. Maybe we start looking like a national contender.

Really anything could happen. Win by 20, lose by 20. Double OT. Flagrant fouls. Coaches getting T’d up. Monster dunks. A buzzer beater.

It just seems like a big game. Can’t wait to watch and find out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News