ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Search

matpistole

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2015
I'm back! It's been way too long and I have been paying attention!

Coaching searches are my jam.

Obviously still really early, although Illinois is in a unique position to move quickly once the season is over to get their guy in place. I can't wait to hear comments.

My Choices, In Order:
1. Justin Fuente, Head Coach - Memphis
- Coached at Illinois State for six seasons where he also met his wife who is from Normal, IL
- One of (if not) the hottest name in all coaching searches around the country
- Dynamic offense and would bring a tough, disciplined approach to our program
- A side note is that Wes Lunt is a very similar QB to Paxton Lynch
- He will model his programs around what Gary Patterson has done at TCU (this is a good thing)

2. P.J. Fleck, Head Coach - Western Michigan
- Kaneland, IL native who played at Northern Illinois
- Back to back top 50 recruiting classes in country at a MAC school, that is impressive
- "Elite" level motivator/salesman for program with a very unique personality
- We will find out how good his team is this year coming up when they play the best teams in MAC

3. Dino Babers, Head Coach - Bowling Green
- Former Eastern Illinois head coach who is familiar with state
- Longtime assistant coach at the major FBS level, well connected and respected
- Very successful in his short stints as HC at EIU and now at Bowling Green
- Dynamic offense that is based off of Art Briles and Baylor's system

I love what Bill Cubit has been able to do this year and if he ends up with 7-8 wins (completely possible), MT will have a hard time justifying letting him go; however, I believe there are much better long term answers out there to fix this program once and for all. The coaches listed above give us the best shot at that.

A few other names to keep in mind:

Matt Rhule, Head Coach - Temple
- Former Penn State player who has Temple undefeated and nationally ranked this year
Matt Campbell, Head Coach - Toledo
- This would be a hard sell considering his relationship with Beckman; however, Campbell has a winning pedigree and has done a phenomenal job at Toledo. He isn't Beckman.
Bo Pelini, Head Coach - Youngstown State
- 66 wins in 7 years is no joke, he has recruited Illinois and Ohio very well, but you don't get fired for no reason and he is probably too risky from a PR standpoint considering the issues surrounding the athletic department.
Jeff Brohm, Head Coach - Western Kentucky
- Doing a great job at Western Kentucky, but would he work for a guy that fired him and staff he was on a few years ago?
Rod Carey, Head Coach - Northern Illinois
- Has kept the train moving at NIU, tough, disciplined approach that would be similar to Jerry Kill/Gary Patterson.
Todd Monken, Head Coach - Southern Miss
- Not too long ago, he was the one of the 2 or 3 hottest names associated with the last coaching search. He slowly is turning things around at SoMiss, they are 5-3 this year, who knows where they will be by the end of the year. If he gets them to 8-9 wins, that is a feat and he should be right in the mix.
Greg Schiano, Former Head Coach - Rutgers/Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Illinois is a long shot destination for Schiano who is probably the front runner for Maryland/Miami and possibly Rutgers if they decide to fire Flood after their controversies this year.
Bill O'Brien, Head Coach - Houston Texans
- Things aren't going well in Houston for O'Brien, he would be on my upper list if he were already available, but he is not....yet. If he becomes available and brings that chip on his shoulder to Illinois that his teams had at Penn State, we could have some fun.
Brock Spack, Head Coach - Illinois State
- Methodically has turned Illinois State into a FCS powerhouse. Not a flashy pick; however he knows what it takes to be successful in the Big 10.
Everett Withers, Head Coach - James Madison
- Hard to ignore how well he has done at James Madison the past couple years, worth an interview for sure (that he would kill).
Pep Hamilton, Offensive Coordinator - Indianapolis Colts
- Former Chicago Bears assistant and from DC so he will be actively in the Maryland search. He has been associated with Andrew Luck all the way back to their time at Stanford. He would bring a tough, physical style with a pro style offense.
Brent Venables, Defensive Coordinator - Clemson
- His defense has Clemson undefeated and in position at playoff. He was talked to the last time job was open.
Ed Warriner, Co-OC/OL - Ohio State
- Former OL coach here, good recruiter and has worked for the best in the business (Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly)

Last edited:
Reactions: Copacetic1856
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News